24 April 2008
NEW YORK, NY – April 24, 2008 –Christy Turlington Burns kicked off the Mother’s Day festivities a few weeks early at the INSPI(RED) Mothers’ Brunch in New York City on April 20th. Turlington, a (RED)™ ambassador, was joined by Helena Christensen, Liya Kebede, Mya, and other (RED) supporters to celebrate motherhood and to share the impact that (RED) is having on women and children in Africa.
By choosing (RED) this Mother’s Day with gifts from (PRODUCT) RED™ partners, including Apple, Converse, Dell, Emporio Armani, Gap, Hallmark, Microsoft and Motorola, you can honor your mother with a thoughtful present that has long-lasting impact on mothers and children in Africa. A portion of the profits from each (PRODUCT) RED item goes directly to the Global Fund to invest in African AIDS programs with a focus on women and children.
It costs just $0.40 cents a day to purchase the two pills an individual with HIV/AIDS needs to stay alive. Yet severe poverty prohibits many from affording this treatment. (RED) works to help these individuals get the medicine they need to get healthy. By purchasing a (PRODUCT)
RED gift for mom here in the United States, you’ll automatically make a significant difference in the life of a mom on the other side of the world.
There’s an amazing lineup of great and ever-giving (RED) gift ideas for Mom this year, including:
· With a new series of Hallmark (PRODUCT) RED Mother’s Day cards, it’s easy to find the one best suited for your mom. Complete the package with a pretty journal and wrap it up with Hallmark’s (PRODUCT) RED line of wrapping paper, tissue and gift bags!
· Technology heavy-weights Dell and Microsoft offer a great line-up of (PRODUCT) RED computers for Mom, including a desktop, two laptops and a printer. Each of these products is equipped with Microsoft’s (PRODUCT) RED
Windows Vista Ultimate software.
· Apple’s (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition nano or shuffle is a perfect addition to Mom’s summer gear, offering mobile tunes and video for beach outings, workouts and getaways.
· Keep Mom hip with a pair of red, black or white (PRODUCT) RED All Stars from Converse. These affordable $49.00 shoes are made with super soft canvas sourced in Africa. Or check out the 1HUND(RED) Artists Collection – 100 pairs designed by artists from around the globe. Find one that works for your mom.
· Emporio Armani’s amazing (PRODUCT) RED lineup offers designer clothing, jewelry, sunglasses and fragrance. Must-haves include a bracelet designed by Hollywood’s Julia Roberts, evening wear and safari-inspired sportswear – all perfect for the fashionista Mom who wants to make a difference.
· Get inspired with Gap’s latest lineup of (PRODUCT) RED t-shirts and flirty blouses – all of which were inspired by the art and design in the African country of Ghana. There’s also a roomy new tote bag, which is perfect for the beach or a weekend escapade.
· And since Mom is usually the connection point for family and friends, why not help her communicate in style with a Motorola (PRODUCT) RED RAZR and Bluetooth headset.
To find the perfect (RED) gift for Mother’s Day, visit www.joinred.com for partner details.
About (RED)™ and (PRODUCT) RED™
(RED)’s primary objective is to engage the private sector in raising awareness and money for the Global Fund to fight AIDS in Africa. Companies whose products take on the (PRODUCT) RED mark contribute a significant percentage of the sales or portion of the profits from that product to the Global Fund to finance AIDS programs in Africa, with an emphasis on the health of women and children. Current partners are: American Express (U.K. only), Apple, Converse, Gap, Emporio Armani, Motorola and Hallmark, Dell and Microsoft. MySpace.com is the first media sponsor in the United Kingdom and MTV Networks is the first media sponsor in the US.
Since its launch in the spring of 2006, more than $100 million has been generated by (RED) partners and events for the Global Fund. (RED) money is already at work in Swaziland, Rwanda, Ghana and Lesotho. For more information, visit www.joinred.com.
About The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria
The Global Fund is a unique global public/private partnership dedicated to attracting and disbursing additional resources to prevent and treat HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. This partnership between governments, civil society, the private sector and affected communities represents a new approach to international health financing. The Global Fund works in close collaboration with other bilateral and multilateral organizations to supplement existing efforts dealing with the three diseases.
Since its creation in 2002, the Global Fund has become the dominant financer of programs to fight AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria, with approved funding of US$ 10.1 billion for more than 550 programs in 136 countries. To date, programs supported by the Global Fund have averted two million deaths through providing AIDS treatment for 1.4 million people, anti-tuberculosis treatment for 3.3 million people and the distribution of 46 million insecticide-treated bed nets for the prevention of malaria.
The Global Fund provides more than 20 percent of international funding to fight AIDS, as well as two-thirds of international funding to fight malaria and tuberculosis, and aims to raise US $6 billion to US $8 billion annually to sustain and increase this level of funding.
(RED) Media Contact:
Signal Rock Communications